Thursday, 19 December 2013

Planning : My magazine - Target Audience and Genre

Who will be my target audience and what will my genre be? From doing research (mainly textual analysis) I have discovered all the tricks editors and magazine companies to in order to attract the audience and interact with the audience. Some magazines I have researched or discovered while researching have made it clear who their target audience is and what their genre of music is. For example Top of the Pops is clearly for teenage girls who like pop music, whereas NME are evidentially covering more of a rock and punk seen aimed at a mixed gender in their 20s onwards. By doing this research it has helped me to think about the possible target audience and genres I could cover. It has also helped me to see what genre dominants the music magazines of today and what room there is on the magazine market. I have completed two mid maps, one with all the possible genres of my magazine and another mind map of all the possible target audiences. I have come to the conclusion and decided that I will be doing my magazine genre of international music, this means my magazine will publish popular and unpopular (upcoming) music from various countries such as the United Kingdom, The United States, France, Spain and Germany and also many more. This allow my target audience and readership to become very large and mixed making the magazine more popular, it will also give me chance to include various different genres. For example from doing my research I have discovered that Pop (chart) music magazines aimed at teenagers (mainly girls) were quite dominant in the magazine market along with Rock and Punk magazines. This meant that I wanted to stay away from those genres and include genres which do not really get viewed or seen in the music magazine industry, this would be genres such as classical, indie, country and ballads. By doing this type of magazine with a range of different countries and a hybrid of various genres, it allows my magazine to have a wider target audience. I have decided for my magazine to be Unisex and at a range of 15-60+. By having this very large age range it again allows my magazine to open up to wider readership. By having all these factors (international, range of genres and wide target audience) it allows my magazine to be very versatile and flexible in many different forms and therefore making it popular. From research I have done, it appears that this will be the first type of international music magazine, therefore making it different and stand out compared to other magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment